Vitamin B-12 is one of the most important daily nutrients. Problem is, most people are not getting adequate amounts of it. Even when they are, people aren’t absorbing enough B-12. Government studies indicated Americans’ intake of vitamin B-12 is less than 70 percent of the recommended daily allowance. Pure Advantage has an answer.
Pure Advantage’s B-12 spray is a cut above other B-12 products because it is available in the methylcobalamin form. Methylcobalamin is the most absorbable form of B-12. This is extremely important when taking supplemental B-12, especially for vegetarians. Because B-12 is found mainly in meat sources, vegetarians are often deficient in this important daily vitamin.(1) Research indicated 92 percent of all vegetarians suffered from B-12 deficiency.(2)
Pure Advantage’s B-12 is also highly effective, not only because it exists in the most absorbable form, but also because sprays are more effective in activating the saliva glands than capsules, pills, lozenges and even drops. This allows B-12 to enter the bloodstream more quickly.
Specifically, methylcobalamin may help:
- Regulate homocysteine
- Protect against nerve damage, assist in nerve regeneration and diabetic neuropathy
- Increase energy levels
- Improve sleep
- Reduce stress
- Enhance growth and repair of all cells
- Aid in metabolism of carbohydrates and fats
- Improve protein synthesis
- Improve immune function
- Increase mental alertness
When homocysteine reaches high levels in the body, it can be harmful to the heart. Evidence suggests high homocysteine levels can cause cardiovascular problems, and is associated with stress and brain disease. The optimal safe range for homocysteine is under 6 micromoles per liter.(1) One study revealed that a person who took 2000mcg of oral methylcobalamin per day for four months reduced homocysteine levels from 113.4 micromoles per liter to 8.2.(3) Methylcobalamin is the only form of B-12 that can directly participate in homocysteine metabolism.(4) According to Ray Sahelian, M.D., Vitamin B-12 plays a major role in red blood cell activity, methylation reactions and immune system regulation. Evidence indicates methylcobalamin has some metabolic and therapeutic applications not shared by other forms of B-12. Oral methylcobalamin works as well as injections, with the added feature of maintaining high levels in the blood over time.(3) Methylcobalamin is believed to help protect brain cells against glutamate toxicity.(5) Scientists emphasize ongoing intake of methylcobalamin is necessary to protect against neurological disease.(5) That means daily supplementation may be required. High doses of methylcobalamin have been used to treat degenerative neurological disease.(1) People with lateral sclerosis (Lou Gehrig’s disease) took 25mg of methylcobalamin for a month. The controlled, double-blind study showed methylcobalamin improved muscle response after a month of treatment.(1)
(1) B-12: The Vital Vitamin. Oral B-12 equivalent to B-12 injections. Mitchell, Life Extension Magazine. Aug. 1998.
(2) B12 Alert. Vegetarian Times. Feb. 2004. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition July 2003 study.
(3) Methylcobalamin and Diabetic Neuropathy. Ide H, Fujiya S, Asanuma Y, Tsuji M, Sakai H, Agishi Y, Clinical Therapy. 1987. (4) Methylcobalamin and the new story of vitamin B-12. Ed Sharpe. The Delano Report. 2001.
(5) Neurological Disease: A Potential Breakthrough. Life Extension Magazine. Aug. 1998.