From the Editors of E/The Environmental Magazine
VegFamily is pleased to present EarthTalk, a question and answer platform for environmental awareness. Public demand for environmental information is growing, and readers especially want facts, insights and ideas that are presented succinctly, in plain language—and with clear action items. EarthTalk tackles key issues, provides tips on how one can "green up" his or her own lifestyle—and helps people who seek to plug into broader efforts to safeguard the global environment. EarthTalk tackles questions like these with thoughtful, concise answers that give readers solid and balanced environmental information. In addition, each answer we provide includes relevant contact information at the end—environmental organizations, companies and websites, plus government contacts when applicable—to enable readers to research topics further if they so choose or get involved personally in environmental protection efforts.
- Global Warming Solutions What would you say are the most important steps we need to take as a nation to counter the impacts of climate change?
- Avoiding Environmental Cancer Triggers What are
some ways we can avoid known environmental triggers for it?
- Bottled Water Did water become a commercial beverage?
- Fluoride in Tap Water Is flouride in tap water good?
- The Global Food System is Failing What's going on?
- Can Pollution Affect My Child's IQ? A spate of recent studies suggests that pollution can indeed affect the intelligence of children of all ages (even those still in utero).
- Borax I've heard so much about using Borax for green housecleaning. But if this mineral has to be mined, doesn't that negate some of its "green-ness?"
- Why Not Train? If train travel is so much less polluting than driving or flying, why are passenger rail options in the U.S. so limited compared to Europe? And is anything being done to shift more travelers over to American rail lines from cars and planes?
- Microwaves How does the microwave compare in energy use, say, to using a gas or electric stove burner to heat water for a cup of tea?
- Fur Industry How is the fur industry doing these days? Has it been impacted by activism from PETA and similar groups?
- Global Warming Is it true that the loss of the world?s peatlands is a major factor in the build-up of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere. If so, what can be done about it?
- Human Illness and Loss of Life Has anyone been tracking whether climate change is causing more loss of human life as it gets more pronounced?
- Is Global Warming Real? Don't all these huge snow and ice storms across the country mean that the globe isn't really warming?
- Cheetah Facts: Plight of a Cheetah What's happening with wild populations of cheetahs?
- Bamboo Hardwood Flooring & Bamboo Clothing I've noticed that bamboo is very trendy right now, can you enlighten?
- Environmental Clubs How can I start one?
- Lead-tainted Children's Toys Where are these toys ending up and are they creating pollution problems there?
- Water Woes and Water Borne Diseases Tell me we're not really running out of water!
- Solutions of Global Warming: Emit Less Greenhouse GasesHow can I determine if it is more eco-friendly to fly or drive somewhere?
- Why are some environmental groups jumping on the immigration issue?: What does
immigration have to do with the environment?
- What Is a Carbon Footprint: Calculating Your Carbon Footprint: How can I measure—and then improve—my
overall "carbon footprint?" What are the major areas of one's daily life that one measures?
- Green Burial: I've heard that increasing eco-awareness around the world has now extended itself to the afterlife, whereby burials can even be "green." Is that true?
- Homemade Household Cleaners - Avoiding Toxic Ingredients: I've read that household cleaners contain cancer-causing toxic ingredients. What should I do, then, to keep my house clean but also safe for my kids?
- Cloning Animals: What's the story with animal cloning? Is the meat industry really cloning animals now to "beef up" production?
- Current Enviromental Issues: What are the major environmental issues that our next president, be it Obama or McCain, will have to confront?
- Harmful Plastic: I've read that plastic bottles are not always safe to reuse over and over as harmful chemicals can leach out into the contents. I'm wondering if the same issues plague Tupperware and other similar plastic food storage containers.
- City Traffic: How does congestion toll pricing, used in some cities around the world, cut down on vehicle traffic and promote green-friendly public transit?
- Dairy Allergies: My body doesn't tolerate cheese well. Are there dairy-free cheeses that will be easier on my constitution and better for the environment, too?
- Autism Causes Autism affects one in every 150 children born today in the U.S., up from one in 500 as recently as just 10 years ago.
- Organic Pesticides: Natural Home Pesticides What green-friendly lawn and garden pesticides are available today?
Article continues below
- Dairy-Free Cheese: My body doesn't tolerate cheese well. Are there dairy-free cheeses that will be easier on my constitution and better for the environment, too?
- Early Puberty: I heard that children are reaching puberty at earlier ages now and that it may have to do with environmental toxins and even their TV viewing habits. Can you enlighten?
- Home Cooling Tips: How can I keep cool indoors without just running my energy-hogging air conditioners all the time?
- Natural Ant Repellant: Home Remedy to Kill Ants:Is there any way to responsibly get rid of ants without using noxious chemicals that could potentially harm my family?
- Season Climate Change: Are we losing winter?
- Sunscreens: What is safe?
- Green Wedding: Have any tips on how to make the festivities greener?
- Recycle Clothing: What can I do with clothes too old for Goodwill?
- New Urbanism: What's so great about it?
- Leather: What are the environmental consequences and the vegan alternatives?
- The Environmental Impact of Computer Use: Are "greener" PCs available?
- Scented Candles: Are they better than chemical laden air fresheners?
- Vegan Diet, Meat Eating, and the Environment: How true are the claims?
- Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs: Whay aren't they taking over more quickly? How do we recycle them?
- Natural Furniture: Where can I find it?
- Cat Litter: What kinds are kinder to the environment?
- Air Fresheners: Is it true that some ingredients in common air fresheners can cause health problems?
- Desalination: Is removing the salt from ocean water a feasible fix for the world's shortage of fresh water?
- Anti-bacterial Soap: Helpful or harmful?
- Organic Baby Food: No time for homemade - what are the options?
- Paper Versus Plastic: Is one any better than the other?
- Hummer or Prius: Which is more green-friendly?
- Laundry Detergent and Soap: What are the best kinds to use in consideration of wastewater?
- Cafeteria Food: How can we get schools to offer healthier food?
- Eco-Home: How do I learn how to build an all-around "eco-home?"
- Feminine Hygiene Products: Is it true that there is a lot of waste associated with tampons and sanitary pads and their packaging?
- Tap water: Bottled water companies would have us all believe that tap water is unsafe to drink. Is this true?
- Terminator Seed: What is the "terminator seed" proposed for use in agriculture? Why is it so controversial?
- Light Pollution: What is it and is it really a factor in breast cancer?
- School Bus Gas Fumes: Are my kids breathing in dangerous fumes?
- Wildlife and Global Warming: How are other wildlife populations affected by global warming
- The Waste of Packaging: What is being done to make packaging more "green friendly," including cutting out as much of it as possible?