Savory Breakfast Sausage
This recipe is a favorite! It is wheat free, gluten free, soy free, and corn free! Can be served for breakfast or any other meal of the day with a side of rice and salad.
- 2 cups black-eyed peas (15 1/2 oz can, un-drained)
- 1/2 cup potato flour*
- One 4 oz. can of mushroom (drained), finely diced OR 1/4 very finely chopped fresh mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon crushed fennel
- 1 or 2 dashes crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 or 2 sprigs parsley, finely chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed rosemary
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- oil for frying
- Mash black-eyed peas and potato flour together in bowl. Add mushrooms together with peas and potato flour. Roll about 10 or so sausage shapes out of the mixture.
- Put spices on clean surface, and roll the "sausages" over the spice mixture, coating well.
- In frying pan on medium to low heat, in a little oil fry the sausages, carefully turning as they brown. (And they do turn a nice golden brown)
- Serve hot and enjoy! Makes about 10 links.
Make sure to use a gluten free potato flour if you are a celiac/allergic to wheat, such as Bob's Red Mill Potato Flour. If you are not sensitive to gluten, you can substitute the potato flour with regular wheat flour. If you would rather have patties for a vegan burger, these work great that way as well.
Make sure that the end mixture is not runny. This might happen if the un-drained can of black-eyed peas contains too much liquid (the liquid in a can of beans vary from brand to brand.) If yours is too runny to shape into sausage or patty shapes, add more flour until you can work with it. And this is why you should drain the mushrooms, if you're using canned mushrooms, otherwise there is way too much liquid.